by Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni
ICHELANGELO Buonarroti painted this scene of the original sin and its immediate consequence. It dates back to about 1510 as part of the decoration of the vault of the Sistine Chapel, in the Vatican Museums in Rome, commissioned by Julius II.
In painting the vault, Michelangelo proceeded from the spans near the front door, the one used during the solemn entrances to the chapel of the pontiff and his following, to the span above the altar. The original Sin and driven out of Earthly Paradise (Genesis 3, 1-13. 22-24.) is therefore part of the first block. Particularly in this scene and in the previous (the Creation of Eve), it is noted that the figures became larger, with a more synthetic compositional apparatus, the most essential and peremptory gestures. This is explained by the dismissal of the aid that, after Noah’s first three stories, were sent away by Michelangelo because he was dissatisfied with their work.
The scene was painted in thirteen days, starting from the upper left corner, where the leaves of the tree are located, created with wide and fluid brushstrokes.